Thursday, November 11, 2010

Clearwater - IM 70.3 World Championship (Pre Race)



Well, it's been an interesting last month or so. Came out of my last 4 races feeling horrible. I've been sick ever since my race in Alabama and finally went to the doctor and got rid of it last week. I've managed to get in some decent training in the presence of me feeling like crap but it hasn't been too solid. Nonetheless, I'm feeling really strong going into this race. Mentally, I'm probably the strongest I've ever been right now. I want this race more than any other I've competed in. I experienced everything about this course last year and I know what to expect, it's just a matter of doing in on Saturday. Last weekend, I had a little moment of relief when I blew out of my "slow" running rut, that I've been in the last 4 months. I won the November SDTC triathlon with a nicely paced 21:56 4 mile run. Not only did I finally start running fast, but it was a pace that I felt I could sustain for much longer. It doesn't matter this week though, all that matters is what I do on race day.
This is going to be a really competitive field like last year, where the winners of my division were running 1:15 and 1:16 half marathon splits. I definitely don't have that kind of capability right now but I know I can put up a strong run. I've never broken a 1:30 half (in a 70.3) before, so anything under that will be a success. I'm also feeling quite strong swimming as well. I've hit 26:00 on the dot three times this year in a 2k swim, but never gone under that. I feel like I can break it right now if we're given somewhat clean conditions. Who really knows what is going to happen in the bike. This bike course is flat and narrow and packs forming are unavoidable. So I could end up going 2:30 or 2:00.. you never know. My goal is to race to the capability to which I know I can. I don't expect to be throwing down 5:45 miles but I know I can run a lot faster than 1:30. My body may be lagging a bit from being sick right now but mentally I'm way fired up. I just pray that God gives my body the strength to do what I know I can do.

1 comment: